Monday, November 23, 2009

Observing the Sabbath Day


(Image courtesy of cartoonstock.com)


On Saturday night, as I was feeling tired from a 7-mile run through the woods and suffering from a sinus headache, I became upset that I was spending an absurd amount of pointless time on the internet.


I'm a news junkie so news sites, blogs, and Facebook feeds are my Kryptonite. I decided there was a solution. Unplug.


On Saturday night at 6:30pm I signed off from my Gmail account and my Facebook account, I closed down the windows telling me about the latest happenings in the world, and I shut down my computer. For the next 24 hours I did not check into the virtual world. Instead, I spent connecting with the real world and it was splendid.


I spent quality time with my wife watching a scary movie on the couch, I read some of The Hole in our Gospel, went to church, and ended up going to the Queens Zoo with some friends from church.


Although none of these stand out as extaordinary examples of things I would do on a weekend, what did stand out was the lack of negativity and useless "noise" created by my time online. The 24 hour period seemed brighter, less chaotic, and filled with hope. I felt more connected to the world around me. Imagine that - feeling more connected by disconnecting.


This must become regular practice for me. I will observe my own true Sabbath every weekend. And, yes, even in New York City one can "Remember the sabbath day, to keep it holy."

No comments:

Post a Comment