Friday, January 16, 2009

Keeping the Faith at B'nai Jeshurun

As you'll probably note, this brief piece on our visit to B'nai Jeshurun comes about a month and half after the visit. I will be backdating the post to fit the chronology of our visit.

The big security guys at the door were a big sign that I was entering a synagogue on the Upper West Side. Security guards and police are, unfortunately, a very real and necessary presence at synagogues around our holy city.

I have to admit to arriving late to the service. So, while Adam had good seats on the first floor, I was quickly ushered up to the balcony that was also quickly filling up. Having been to numerous Shabbat Services in my life, I was quickly able to fall into the service, figure out what page to read in the siddur, etc. What caught me off-guard was the standing, sitting, bowing, and turning around that happened at the service. I've experienced it before but usually next to friends who know what they're doing. For the first time, I was sitting all by myself.

So, I did what anyone in my position would do out of respect for the service - I pretended to know what I was doing. I used my peripheral vision to know when to do what. I have to say, I was pretty darn good at it.

As Adam has already noted, the music was really good and the singing very soulful. I felt the longing for God that is missed in many Christian hymns.

The Rabbi's sermon was so brief that I had to ask Adam afterwards if I had missed it. Apparently I hadn't. Her short talk on the situation in Israel was pretty liberal but short enough that it didn't feel like a political speech. I'd be interested in going back to B'nai after visiting other synagogues to compare and contrast.

My favorite part of the whole experience was realizing that I recognized the synagogue from somewhere. So I leave you with the Ein Keloheinu from the movie Keeping the Faith:

(Yes, it was filmed at B'nai Jeshurun!)

No comments:

Post a Comment