Friday, January 23, 2009

Oh the Humanity!

On Sunday, January 18th, Adam and I were joined by my wife, Wendy, at the New York Society for Ethical Culture.


We happened to go on Martin Luther King Jr. weekend and ended up enjoying a service dedicated to MLK and celebrating the new President. This was where this service differed from many religious services. Whereas many places would simply acknowledge King's impact in their sermons or use it to talk about the week's scripture, this service completely revolved around Dr. King.

And that's where you realize how much of an oxymoronic place this is. The website's subtitle states that the New York Society for Ethical Culture is "a humanist religious community." It has all the aspects of religious service - the seating, programs, collection, and (worship?) leaders. But they don't worship anything. It challenges my definition of religion.

I walked away feeling like I had been to a nice event but not to an actual religious service. They cherish what is great in humanity, they celebrate it, and they challenge themselves to do better. But, there's no God. No mention of any kind of a Supreme Being or Higher Power. It/He/She simply seemed to not exist.

I understand the need to belong to something. Everyone has a need to belong to a group, to define themselves. The humanists have their place to gather. And, why not on Sunday when a lot of other people are gathering?

Overall, a nice service that completely lacked God. Somewhat strange to me and definitely lacking. But, then again, I am a believer.

Adam will probably post more on what the humanists believe and their history since he attended their informational session midweek. (hint to Adam: your turn to post)

2 comments:

  1. Why would you send a Christian to a Humanist gathering? He obviously doesn't get it.

    There is no God. Ask George Carlin.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are most free to join us as we explore the religions of NYC.

    I thought George Carlin was a hilarious man and I was saddened by his passing.

    I wish I could ask him. Of course, that would imply that there's an afterlife, no?

    ReplyDelete